JeffreyKeeten

JeffreyKeeten

Valley of the Scarecrow - Gord Rollo On Saturday afternoons I sometimes like to put the SyFy Channel on and mute it and occasionally glance at the screen to see some two-dimensional annoying characters get eaten or eviscerated by a monster or evil fiend. I like this because I can read or do laundry and not have to give very much attention over to a B rated movie. Unfortunately Valley of the Scarecrow is a low budget B movie in book form. The characters remind me of the stick figures I used to draw when I was three, resembling people, but really not having anything substantial to give them form or a brain. After reading Strange Magic I was expecting a lot more from Valley of the Scarecrow. I did not expect to find stilted dialogue, sentence structure problems, almost zero character development. I would pause in my reading, gobsmacked by some horrible line, to reread the sentence. To say the least this was a distraction from really falling into the book and letting the plot take me to Miller's Grove. I couldn't wait for the Reverend Joshua Miller to awaken and destroy these people in various nefarious ways, but I had to grit my teeth to get to the payoff. I didn't identify with any of these people which in itself is not a problem if the book is well written and the plot takes off like a rocket. One of the characters, Lizzie, the only thing I can remember about her is she gets "horny" when it rains. Dan has muscles. Pat takes pictures. Kelly is 5'10". Rich is Dan's sidekick. Kim has big boobs and is sexually attracted to Dan. They are basically all red shirts and just fodder for the Reverend.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this was an earlier novel, hanging out in a drawer, and after he had a few other novels accepted this was pulled back out of the drawer and given a hatch job makeover. Some books are best left in the drawer or published as an airport horror novel under a pseudonym.