JeffreyKeeten

JeffreyKeeten

Sunshine - Robin McKinley I was put off by the narrative at the start of the book that explained what had happened before. I'm never a big fan of those. Fortunately that was a concise section and I was able to get into the story about Sunshine. I loved the next 1/3 of the book. It actually felt cosy learning about Sunshine's life in the bakery. To some this may seem mundane, but to me it was nice after a hectic day to read about how to make cinnamon rolls. The section with her trapped with the vampire Constantine, both chained to a wall, was a wonderful concept. A vampire and human figuring out how to work together to escape an impossible situation was just wonderfully conceived. The middle section bogs down a bit as a lot of novels do, but the grand finale is well worth the wait. Nice to see vampires back to being vicious, unpredictable creatures, but with an innate honor code that allows them to form alliances, which in this case spurs the plot. No brooding, handsome vampires strolling through these pages. The weight of book, the worthiness, really comes down to whether I would reread a book and this book certainly qualifies.