JeffreyKeeten

JeffreyKeeten

Collected Stories and Other Writings - John Cheever, Blake Bailey I have been reading this book for 18 months. This isn't the kind of book you just grab and set down and read from cover to cover just like I wouldn't think most people would grab the collected works of Shakespeare and read it one brilliant play after brilliant play. I have enjoyed having Cheever by my bedside always available when I needed a break from my other reading endeavors. Cheever is one of those writers that equally encourages me to write and at the same time convinces me that I have no business writing. Not all of these stories are home runs, thank goodness, I was relieved to discover he is mortal with red blood and black ink, but his strike outs were so few that certainly he would have had an alarmingly high on base percentage if writing were rewarded, like baseball, with bases.

I wanted to also make mention that these Library of America editions truly do add to the reading experience with Bible thin paper and sewn bindings. These are books that are meant to be read time and time again and by multiple generations. I own many of them and will steadily work my way through the best they have to offer.