JeffreyKeeten

JeffreyKeeten

Medusa  - Michael Dibdin Because of the untimely, much too early, death of Michael Dibdin we are left with only eleven Aurelio Zen mysteries. I know subsconsciously I have been pacing myself, savoring each one with the knowledge that ever time I read one I get closer to the end. Masterpiece Theater has in their infinite wisdom taken the first three books and made excellent renditions for television that inspired me to pull Medusa off the shelf. Casting Rufus Sewell was brilliant. He captures the essence of the Aurelio Zen character perfectly. (Seeing Sewell in the Zen programs reminded me that I have been needing to rewatch the movie Dark City.)

Stylish is the first word that comes to mind when I think of Dibdin's writing. Zen is a cerebral, tenacious investigator who manages to work with integrity in a corrupt Roman police department. He is an outsider, being from Venice, and gains the begrudging respect of the politicians, fellow officers, and the crooks that he has to interact with. He at times, well most of the time, runs counter to the powers-that-be and finds himself tiptoeing along hoping that he doesn't end up being just another casualty in the war of corruption that dominates Italian life.

Aurelio Zen in Medusa is given a case and cautioned that powerful people in the military may be upset by what he discovers. Zen finds himself one step behind as people he needs to talk to are being eliminated faster than he can catch up with them. In true Zen form he keeps digging until he finds out enough to put the proper pressure on the right people to allow him to bring the case to a successful conclusion.

Medusa is the 9th in the series so I have only two more to go and then I will just have to start over and read them again.