JeffreyKeeten

JeffreyKeeten

Still Life With Brass Pole - Craig Machen I am so familiar with the parts of Oklahoma, California, and Arizona that Craig refers to in this book. The first two years I lived in Phoenix I spent most of my time on Thomas Road. I lived on Thomas Road in a crapola set of apartments called Sunnyside or Sunset or Sunrise. One of those places that nearly every night had the flashing blue lights of a cop car in the parking lot. I went to college at Phoenix College off of Thomas Road. I worked in a bookstore at a mall just down the road from Thomas Mall or the dying mall as we refered to it then. So anyway, I had a little jolt when Craig mentioned Thomas Mall.

Once you start this book, you just keep compulsively turning the pages. It must have been very cathartic and painful to write these pages. Craig does not spare any punches. He is critical of himself, his decisions, and his failures. He explains how he got where he is, recognizing the adverse effect that people had on his life so we as the readers can lay blame at the feet of those people, but Craig doesn't. At the point in time that he wrote this book, he can look at those people with more objectivity, a luxury that time and distance has provided. There is a point in everyone's life when they have to take responsibility for their life and quit making excuses for themselves. The reward of the book is seeing Craig go through that process and eventually take control of his life and steer it in a more productive direction.