JeffreyKeeten

JeffreyKeeten

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag - Alan Bradley I can't really explain it, but I really like this series. I don't read books like this and yet here I am with book two under my belt and looking forward to book three. I actually liked this book better than the first book The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. I was talked into reading the first book, and prejudged the book which it took 3/4 of the book to convince me that I really was having a good time. With book two I picked it up already convinced I would like it and I wasn't disappointed.

Flavia de Luce our 11 year old heroine is pretty much left to her own devices. Her mother died young. Her father buries himself in his stamp collection leaving Flavia at best barely supervised. Her sisters Daphne and Ophelia known with a bit of venom as Daffy and Feely are in an on going conflict with Flavia. They despise Flavia and the feeling is mutual.

The problem for the sisters is Flavia has more than an interest in poisons bordering on an obsession. Flavia is over the space of the first two books in a battle with herself over whether she should just get it over with and poison her sisters.

Flavia, with the use of her trusty bike Gladys, ranges all over the countryside. It is no wonder that if there is any intrigue afoot in the county Flavia will find herself in the middle of it. She is precocious, manipulative, intelligent, and curious to the point of lunacy.

One of my favorite moments in the book is when Flavia mixes sun dried pigeon poop with egg yolk to create an antidote for cyanide. WHOA MACGYVER MOMENT.

If you are looking for a fun bit of English countryside with an Agatha Christie investigation and a good dose of hilarity inducing sibling rivalry this book will fit the bill.